Regarding Proof of Service

I’m posting in regard to my girlfriend’s former relationship, trying to ease her mind.

The issue at hand is the fear that her ex (and father of their 2 year old) may file for custody and make some effort to gain a default judgment by not serving.

What legal steps are in place to ensure that service has been made before judgement is rendered, and what publications should we be paying attention to in case service of publication is employed?

Service by publication should be done by last resort, so the best thing to do is to not avoid getting served. You can call the clerk’s offices in the county in which both parties reside and search for her name to see if an action has been filed to be on the safe side. If looking for service by publication, any notice should be published in a paper in the county in which he last knew her to reside.