Remarriage

Dear Ipsmom:

Greetings. If your ex has not visited with the child in 3 years, then I don’t think that you have any duty to communicate your plans to marry with him.

Now, if you are worried about him responding poorly, then tell him now. It may motivate him to take an active role in your child’s life and be a father. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I am seeking some advice on my responsibilities for notifying my ex of my plans to remarry. We have been officially divorced for over three months now. I have custody of our infant son, with the father having vistation rights, which he has yet to exercise. My ex and I do not communicate on a regualr basis. My fiance has been part of my son’s life since birth.

So, my question is how much notice do I have to give to my ex regarding my plans to remarry in the next couple of months? Also, will my remarriage affect the amount of child support my ex is required to pay?