Reporting Blackmail

My husband read my emails on personal, secret Yahoo accounts. I might pursue this, but my question pertains to his threat to tell his family, my children, and social contacts about my cyber activity. He said he would reveal my activity to everyone unless I signed a separation agreement. This agreement included taking over 300,000 from my retirement accounts.

Is this, in fact, extortion? If so, how should I proceed in reporting this crime? I don’t want to use his blackmail as a threat in negotiations. I’m done with family court. I just want him punished for his criminal behavior. Is this a matter to report to local police, the DA, or the State Bureau of Investigation?

You should start by making a report to your local law enforcement agency (police or sheriff’s office). They will investigate it and pursue the appropriate actions or refer to the appropriate agency.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.