Residency NC/NE?

Unfortunately, you will need to contact an attorney in NE to find out what you need to do to file for divorce in that state. Once you and your husband are no longer living in the same residence, then you are legally separated. No paperwork is necessary. If you aren’t sure whether your separation is permanent, then you should think about having a temporary separation agreement drafted. Talk to an attorney in your area for more information.

Good luck,

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Like in my issue before, my husband and I have only lived here in NC for a little over a month. If we are still considered residents in NE, how would be go about filing a divorce there? We are still young and dont know what you have till there gone, therefore I like the idea of having to be seperated for 6 months before a divorce can be finalized in NE. Is there any such paperwork we’d have to go through here if we just wanted to be seperated for a while and see what happens? Does it cost anything and what kind of paperwork would we be looking at? Thank you for everything!