Retainer Fee


Dear deployeddivorced:

Greetings. What? You hired an attorney to get your divorce, they filed for divorce and gave your spouse half your retirement, and then withdrew?

Also, how can you get child support in Iraq, while I assume your child(ren) are here in the states?

I would contact that attorney and make sure that you have made your position clear with them. Also, you can contact the state bar association in the state you hired the attorney in to ask them for assistance. I hope that helps.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My divorce lawyer filed for a petition to drop me while I was serving in Iraqi. Is she not obligated to return my retainer fee ($1500)? She did get a order for absolute divorcee with nothing else. I still do not receive child support and additionally she has got him my retirement. Please let me know what with the retainer fee. There is no contract for this.