Serving divorce papers properly


Is it okay if I fed-ex my stbx the divorce papers with required signature service? Or does my attorney have to be the one to fed-ex it?


It shouldn’t matter who prepares and sends the package. If the complaint is served through mail or federal express, the plaintiff must file an affidavit of service stating that on X date, a package was mailed which included the complaint, summons, etc. and that on X date it was received as evidenced by the signature. If you do this, your attorney should be able to draft the affidavit for your signature rather than his/her signature.