Sexual harassment

If a non-custodial parent filed for a child support “deviation” to have the child support based on actual costs. Then after months of discovery, the child support amount was based on actual costs and signed by a judge and both parties. Then eight weeks later the non-custodial parent was terminated from their employment due to sexual harassment. Does that mean that the child support amount automatically changes due to the sexual harassment and being terminated for cause. ( Assuming they have about a million dollars in the bank). Would the child support still be based on the actual costs since the actual costs didn’t change within eight weeks?

If you have an order for child support that is not a temporary order, regardless on whether it is based on costs for the child or on the worksheet per the NC Child Support Guidelines, the order can only be modified if there is a substantial change in circumstances affecting the wellbeing of the minor child(ren).

Being terminated from employment because of sexual harassment may not be enough to show a substantial change in circumstances affecting the wellbeing of the minor child(ren).

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.