Spouse pay legal fees


I have been married for 22 years. I have been a stay at home mom just about the entire marriage. I have a 21yrs old, 20 year old, 17 year old and a 1 year old. I only worked for 2 years our entire marriage (in between 17 and 1 year old). My husband has moved out, he pays all the bills and then gives me barley enough money for food. I have absolutely no spending money. Could I make him pay for a lawyer and if so how? I do not even have enough credit to even charge it.


It’s possible that a judge could order your husband to pay your attorney’s fees. In practice this means that you must retain the lawyer, and at the end of the case, the lawyer would submit fee affidavits and the judge would determine how much your husband would pay for reimbursement.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.