State Issues

I am not familiar with a notarized letter of financial responsibility, is this something required by Texas law or is this a document you signed stating that you would be a co-signer on her apartment?

If your children have been in NE for less than six months then Texas has jurisdiction.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you for replying.

It is just a letter which reads:

January 31, 2008

This letter is to certify that I, , will be responsible for paying the rent and utilities for my wife, , on her domicile.

And my signature with a notary stamp on it.

In North Carolina that letter might be evidence in a child support or alimony hearing, but it would not legally bind you to do anything. You may want to check with a lawyer in Nebraska and Texas to see if there is any variation in the law.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Situation: I moved to NC in January from TX after accepting a job offer. At the time I accepted the offer, it was with the intention of the whole family moving with me. Right before I left, wife informed me she had decided not to move with me. I moved by myself and she stayed behind in TX. In March, I sent her a notarized letter of financial responsibility so she could get apartment/utilities. Unfortunately, I did not put an expiration date on it. She took it, along with our two children (2.5 and 5) and some of my furniture and papers with her to NE to live near family. She said she needed time to think about what it is she wanted. She continues to tell me she has not made any decisions.

I continue to be the sole source of financial support for two households. [:(!]

1. Would another notarized letter amending the letter of financial responsibility to include an expiration date supersede the original?

2. Who would has jurisdiction for divorce, property division, child custody, child support and alimony?