Still no dissolution of previous marriage's accounts

My husband and his ex signed a separation and divorce agreement in 2009. ALL joint accounts were supposed to be dissolved that time. They have not been. What are my legal remedies as the current spouse?

You do not have standing to resolve the joint accounts but your husband could file a breach of contract lawsuit against his ex-wife to force his her to cooperate in closing the joint accounts. If the agreement is in the form of a court order then your husband would have to file a contempt motion (called a motion and order to appear and show cause) against his ex-wife.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you. Unfortunately, my husband seems to think this is not important. Hence the questions on the divorce forum…