Stupid Sheriff

It would be highly inappropriate for you to retaliate against the sheriff in anyway. I would not recommend that you take any such action, and if you did, you would likely be arrested. It would be best to just let this go.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Why are you angry with the sheriff? He was doing his job. His department was conrtacted by an attorney to deliver papers. As embarrassing as it may be to be served, it is a guaranteed way for someone to be notified of legal appointments. Why was it a problem for him to ask about you in the rental office? Would you rather the officer spend time going back and forth trying to catch you at home when one conversation could give him a defined better time to locate you. I may be wrong, but I think the average cost of serving papers through the sheriff is about 20.00, no matter how long it takes or how many attempts are made. I think I would rather have the officer ask questions, get information to do his job efficiently rather than waste the taxpayer’s money and safety so the servee wouldn’t be embarassed. And Buhleeve me, although it was probably a highlight of that day, people who work in leasing offices see stuff a WHOLE lot more intresting than a sheriff serving papers. As a matter of fact, where I work today we are dealing with two sheriff lockouts. It is par for the course when you deal with tennants. I do feel for our frustration, I just don’t think the sheriff is the one to be frustrated at.

When I was served restraining orders by a sheriff, he decided to go the extra mile when he could not reach me at my residence as I was at the weight training facility in my neighborhood. After obviously not finding me, he decided to go to the rental office to ask around about me pertaining to the restraining order as if he were some kind of bounty hunter. Needless to say, the WOMEN in my rental office did not take well to this as I am sure that the whole thing was quite interesting considering I am a resident in a community filled with women. I hae no crimminal background - the ex is just pissed because I finally had enough of her infidelity and asked her to leave back in October. Who can tell me how to change this sheriffs life?

VINCENT E. JACOBS