Support past 18

You agreed b/c you thought you’d die in the military? So you never intended to pay for your daughter to go to college? You signed the paperwork. You made a promise. It is not your daughter’s fault you have to keep it now. You might not “want” to pay anymore, but guess what?!?!? You said you would, so now you get to. I am not trying to sound cold, but this was your choice, just like it is your choice to have five other kids plus the one who lives with you.

If the separation agreement was incorporated into the divorce papers then the support ends based on state law. In order to answer this question in your specific question I would need to review your documents.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My daughter turned 18 in sept. So stopped paying child support just like my support papers said from the child support agency. Well two months later I get a letter saying I’m supposed to pay till she graduates from college because thats what the divorce papers say. I did sign a seperation agreement saying that I would pay till she graduates from college. I was in the army at that time and thought I would not make it out. Anyway she put that agreement into the divorce papers. I want to know what I can do about it. I do not want to pay any longer. I can’t afford to send my other 5 kids to college. I have other children I pay support to and a child that lives with me.