Trial Separation

In NC, your locks can be changed once one of the parties has moved from the marital residence with the intention of residing elsewhere. You should let your ex know, preferably in writing, that you are not permanently moving out at this time. The point is conveying what your intention is. If your intention is to not permanently move out, then you are not technically separated.