Truck driver divorce

I am an over the road truck. My spouse and I share the same physical address because I need to have a physical address on my license. The mortgage is in my name alone (for loan purposes) all utilities are all in his. I am only in town at most 3 days a month. We both have agreed to a noncontested divorce, over 2 years ago. How do I go about filing for said divorce

To obtain an absolute divorce, you will need to file a complaint for absolute divorce at the clerk’s office in your county of residence.

Check out our Do It Yourself Divorce Guide which will give you step-by-step instructions and the forms/templates necessary to obtain the divorce yourself.

You should enter into a separation agreement or equitable distribution court order before the entry of the absolute divorce judgment (or have the equitable distribution claim pending in court at the time the absolute divorce judgment is entered) in order to ensure the home is deeded to your spouse’s sole name and that the mortgage is refinanced into your spouse’s individual name, otherwise, there would be no obligation for him to remove your liability on the mortgage.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.