Understanding NC divorce


Dear helpneeded:

Greetings. Yes, in the event that your sister does not respond in a timely manner to any documents she obtains, she can be unrepresented.

I would also like to tell you that your sister needs to file a claim for alimony, if the divorce has not occurred. I would suggest that you tell her to speak with an attorney. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I need some information. My sister has been married for 23 years to my brother in law. They have been separated for 4 years, with my sister living in New York State, and my brother in law living in NC. She recently has told us that he has divorced her without her knowledge…she says she hasn’t signed anything. In addition, she is unemployed, and she says that the court awarded her $1600/month child support for 2 children (my brother in law received a 6 figure income with a major company). We are not from NC and do not understand NC divorce laws. Can all of this happen without her knowledge? Can a divorce be granted without someone having representation in NC? We are very confused and don’t know where to start. Thank you for any help you can give us.