Unmarried Parents & Custody Issues


I’m sorry to hear about the trouble you have been having. The best way for you to deal with this situation is to contact the Wake County Child Support Enforcement Agency. They are located in the Wake County Courthouse, in Raleigh, NC.

Good luck.

Erik L. Mazzone
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

If you have experience with custody and support issues concerning unmarried parents here in Wake Co, North Carolina, please consider leaving some advice here.

I am the mother of a wonderful 18 month old boy here in Wake Co. His father and I never married, live apart, and don’t see much of each other any more. The father did sign the Affidavit of Parentage document at the hospital, and at first helped out quite a bit and saw his son every other weekend. After six months or so though, it started to fade away.

We are both employed full-time, and at first the father paid support regularly. He is self-employed (subcontractor,installs flooring). Now though, things have changed, and he is no longer willing to pay support, nor does he visit with his son.

I am new to all of this, it being my first child. I have not a clue as to how one would apply to any court for help in this matter, nor am I able to afford attorney fees (I’m sure you’ve heard of a single-mom budget). Then there is the whole “how would you enforce any court-ordered support on a self-employed person” thing. He has already made it clear that I am welcome to try and get anything enforced.

Any advice would be apppreciated.