Violation of court order

I think that this would depend on what the court order was originally for. If he was court ordered not to drink alcolhol while in the chidl(children) were present but did anyway then it would have little or no affect on ED. Why he violated the order may have an affect also.
If he were court ordered not to drink alcolhol at all…I’d be interested to know why and how you could prove it…

What happens when you violate a court order, I believe has to do more with the order itself. A restraining order would have more consequence for violating than a court order to not have an overnight guest in the presence of children. Restraining order would have possible criminal charges attached to the violation of it whereas a order about overnight guests only has moral implications. I’m stating agreement with this, only stating what I believe to be true.

Order is no alcohol whatsoever…meaning NONE. Have pics of drinking alcohol. Judge was very specific and clear about this. None meaning none. Has charges involving alcohol and accident that are unresolved and this was to prove himself ( I assume)

If he violated the court order the other party can file a motion for order to show cause and ask the judge to hold him in contempt of court. The contempt penalties vary based on the offense but often include monetary fines and can include jail time.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I am confused as to what happens when you violate a court order. My stbx violated an order not to consume alcohol. Unsure of what this will mean for me…I believe it has to do with child custody, but could it also go over into separation of property, etc. He owns a business and is able to hide alot of income, which has been an issue.