What change would you make in the law?

Dear Twiceloser:

Greetings. I have a couple I would like to see changed.

First, I would like to see the actual legal separation date be marked by filing a notice to the court of an intent to divorce/separate. This would clear up a large amount of the issues with date of separation. Of course, this could potentially hold up some divorces for people who don’t research the law surrounding their separation and eventual divorce.

Next, I would like to see child support more directly related to the actual expenses of the child and not an arbitrary amount that may/may not work for most.

Also, I think that if one spouse runs up credit card debt, totally unbeknownst to the other spouse, and not because of a lack of basic necessities, then the spouse creating the debt should have to pay it all.

Finally, and I am sure I can think of others if I had more time, I would make all attorneys charge flat fees. Gone would be the days of having mounting debt with no end in sight. When you buy a car, you know how much it is, even with the financing. Doctor’s place a price on each visit and procedure. Why shouldn’t it be the same with attorneys?

Thank you and sorry to hear about your situation. If you are not living together, then you are legally separated, by the way.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

</font id=“size3”>
Dear Most Knowledgeable and Wise One:

I was quietly reading, and agreeing with your response to my post, until I read the last paragraph concerning flat attorney's fees. I then jumped up, turning my chair over, and gave a big "Hell yes!"  I

Dear Twiceloser:

Oh wise poster of good posts…LOL. I agree with your post…attorneys and clients should not be allowed to drag the process out indefinitely at the cost of their spouse. Have a great day.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

</font id=“Comic Sans MS”></font id=“size4”>
I’m sitting here, very bitter over this last 13 months of my life; Still no divorce, no legal separation,thousands poorer because of legal fees. I’m forced to live the life of a monk, when 95% of my “good” years have past. All because I told my wife one morning “You haven’t cleaned the damn house.” At least that’s what she says.
What is wrong with this picture? With any other legal partnership, I may have suffered a few loses, but would be well on with my life. “No fault” divorce is just that. Even if you aren’t at fault, you have to pay the price. Why not have no fault robbery, and no fault murder? I love being married, protecting and taking care of my partner, but hell will freeze over before I ever marry again.

My question is: What, if any, divorce laws (in the broad sense) would you like to see changed?

Thanks for all the great advice.