What is Voir Dire in a non-jury equitable distribution case?

My ex and I have come to an agreement on equitable distribution and today the judge emails the following…
Mr. Attorney and Ms. Pro Se: If you both have come to an agreement with regard to the Judgment, I would ask that Mr. Attorney prepare the final version with the language and amounts that you agree on, title it “Consent Amended Equitable Distribution Judgment, then agree upon a date on which we can do a voir dire of the parties and enter the Judgment.

What is voir dire? The only thing I can find online pertains to questioning jurors???

Need fast answer please. Thank you.

Names changed for obvious reasons.

What the judge is likely referring to is the process for entry of consent orders. Prior to a judge accepting and signing a consent order in court, the judge will ask both parties if they are entering into the order on their own free will, if they understand the terms of the order, if they understand what can happen if they do not follow the order (jail time and/or fines), etc.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I had an idea that was what would happen. About how long should it be before the voir dire is scheduled? I live in Mississippi and this case is in the NC Court. Is it acceptable for the Court to allow a phone conference for this procedure or will I be expected to drive up once again. I am Pro Se.

This process happens when the judge signs the order. Unless the judge has a personal preference, a party can have their signature notarized on the court order and then a judge will be able to enter into a consent order without that party needing to be present.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.