Who files first

Does it truly matter who files for divorce first? I am being told by my family that I should file first before my wife does. I am being told that it will look better in my favor because of all the crap she has pulled, such as false 50b and she may also try to modify the parenting agreement. They believe she is going to be stupid enough to try to get alimony even though I do not think she will try due to the fact I hired a PI and she knows that.

I figured I would let her file first and let her pay the court fees so I don’t have to? So that way I can hopefully just sign off on this… Any advise would be appreciated.

It generally doesn’t matter who files first. However, as the plaintiff (the party that files first), you have some advantages like being able to pick initial court dates and getting the process started sooner rather than later.

Even if you are the defendant because you didn’t file first, you still have the right to assert any counterclaims you may have against the plaintiff.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.