Working out Quick Claim Deed and ED

We need to settle the issue on the martial home that STBX still lives in. He is likely unable to pay me equity out of pocket and does not want to sell the home. If I am willing to allow him to pay me the equity I’m owed in installments through a promissory note, and I sign the QCD, what is my recourse if he defaults on the promissory terms? We’ve been cooperative up to this point and I am willing to continue that course but only if I am protected if he defaults.

Your better option is to file an equitable distribution claim and state the equitable distribution payout terms in the court order. That way, if he defaults on the payments, you would be able to file a contempt motion against him. You can also further secure those payments by entering into a formal promissory note for the full amount owed to you.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.