2nd Marriage Validity

Dear freefallwife:

Greetings. No, your second marriage is illegal, but that can quickly be remedied by a visit to your local court house. Best of luck…and sorry to hear about your predicament.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I married husband #1 in 1988 he went to prison in 1993 he sent me a divorce document in 7/93, I remarried in 8/93 in alaska. I found out when 1st husband was released 10 years later that divorce was not legal, papers where not real. I sought a divorce right away. Granted in North Carolina in 8/2003. Now we are trying to adopt a child and Social Services states my 2nd marriage is not valid. Is this fact. I was under the assumption that it became legal when the 1st was deemed final in 2003?

Sharon Land