30 day period


Dear divorcethecon:

Greetings. If he files an answer, then you must respond to all counterclaims. Sometimes we file answers agreeing with the complaint in a divorce action only to show that all parties agree to the pleadings. If he files a counterclaim, then you need to IMMEDIATELY seek the advice of an attorney, as the process is too long to describe herein. Best of luck (and I doubt he will file a counterclaim)!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have filed my divorce, received proof of service and filed it at the courthouse. My question is this:
What happens if he files an answer?
If I have a simple divorce filed, asking nothing but divorce, what could he possibly file in an answer that would delay the divorce?
If indeed he files an answer, what exactly happens from there? I did the divorce myself as my own attorney. (Thanks to this website)