Absolute Divorce Terms

I was granted an absolute divorce today which only incorporated child custody and child support terms in the final decree. Other terms like alimony and property division were established only on the separation agreement. My ex husband’s lawyer states he understood this was our request, but actually we wanted all terms to be incorporated instead. How can this affect our rights in the future? Is there a way to request all terms to be incorporated later on? I am not sure if leaving such terms separate from our divorce decree was in my/our best interest.

Not having the alimony and equitable distribution terms incorporated into the divorce judgment means that they will remain as contract terms between you and your ex-husband and they will not be made into a court order.

All this means is that if one of your violates a provision for alimony or equitable distribution in the separation agreement, then your remedy is a breach of contract lawsuit instead of a contempt/show cause motion.

Additionally for alimony, the terms are non-modifiable in a separation agreement vs. if they were incorporated into a court order, alimony could be modifiable by either party.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.