Absolute divorce

which should be completed first, the absolute divorce or the separation agreement?

If a judgement for absolute divorce is granted without an agreement or order on alimony or equitable distribution has been made, the claims are lost forever. So, if you stand to receive alimony or have not agreed to property division yet, I would suggest you execute the separation agreement first. Or make sure your claims are pending before the divorce judgment has been entered.