Absolute Divorce

Not without one of you moving to a state (and actually changing residency, stuff like getting a residence, voter’s registration, driver’s license, and similar acts that establish residency) that has a shorter residency requirement, and a lesser (if any) separation requirement.

The only option for a divorce is the one year in NC. Other states may have a short waiting period, if any, but you would need to check into that and how that states divorce proceedings are processed. It may not be worth it.
My husband and I started dating about a month & 1/2 after his ex left him. It is legal to date while you are separated and your separation agreement enforces that. I did not feel strange about it because, like you, he knew there was no chance for reconciliation. Had there been that chance it may have made a difference. I can only tell you this…or suggest this…don’t rush this. I understand that you want to move on with your life but you would be surprised at how much emotional baggage can surface afterwards. Dating casually would be a way to “get back out there” so to speak but getting into a relationship at this point can be an emotional rollercoaster. And just so you know…when you aren’t looking for a relationship…is normally when you find one. Just something to think about.

Another note, you mentioned that women are a little afraid of dating a man whose divorce isn’t final. There are two reasons for this…One, they are worried that he will go back to his wife so that there’s no chance that this could turn into a relationship. And Two, no one wants to be the “rebound” person and therefore feel that there is no chance this could turn into a relationship. The women that you mentioned more than likely are looking for a commitment that they believe with your current status may not be able or willing to make.

There is no way to shorten the waiting period in this state. I am not sure if there is another state you could move to that would allow a shorter waiting period. I am not licensed in any other state.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I am sure that this question is asked a lot but I would really like to find a way to divorce sooner than the year waiting period. We signed a separation agreement back in April that stated that we have been separated since 04/20/07. I have since had a very hard time moving on with life emotionally and physically because of the looming divorce and would like to end it as soon as possible. Honestly, I want to start dating again and even though the separation states that we live as single people, most women are scared of the divorce not being final. My ex and I are mutual in this agreement and will not ever reconcile. I wondered if there is another state, option, or loophole that could grant a divorce faster. Thanks, Gabe