Age limit for children

During a child custody lawsuit, a judge may take into consideration the wishes of a child who is at least 12 or 13. However, what the child wants is only one factor in determining what is in the best interest of the child.

If your former spouse is not complying with a court order regarding custody/visitation, it may be helpful to consult with legal counsel about bringing an action to have your former spouse held in contempt of court.

Robin F. Verhoeven
Attorney at Law
Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCdivorce.com
(919)787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Is there a legal age or a generally accepted age, in the eyes of the court, that a child can decide weather or not they wish to have visitation with a parent?

I have a parenting agreement which is a court order. My X will not adhere to the agreement. My X allows the children to decide if they want to spend time with me. My X is emotionally destroying my children by not enforcing the agreement.

Help!!