Alimony and child support for adopted kids

My soon to be ex husband is on disability (SSDI). Our adopted kids have an adoption stipend from the state. He refuses to pay child support because i get funds from the state However he expects me to pay his rent on his apartment as a form of alimony because i make significantly more money than he does. Im willing to pay the rent up to $1000 to get him out of the house but NOW he wants me to sell the house and give him half of the proceeds. We just bought the house so theres limited equity…i just dont know what to do .

The equity in the house is divided equally, assuming equal is equitable, if it was acquired during the marriage with marital funds. This is separate from any child support or alimony issues.

Disability pay is considered income for purposes of calculating alimony and child support.

Adoption stipends can be counted towards the child support obligation.

Your husband may be entitled to alimony based on an income disparity and other factors. There are 16 alimony factors that are used to determine alimony awards.

Check out our detailed article Will You Owe Your Spouse Alimony After a Divorce? for more information about alimony, eligibility, etc.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.