Alimony request and Short Marriage

My spouse and I were separated after 3 months. I filed for divorce after the 1-year waiting period. The answer included a request for alimony. At the pro se hearing the judge continued the case for full trial.

Is there any chance of my ex-spouse receiving alimony? I didn’t know about the answer or request for alimony until it was announced at the hearing. Should I respond to the answer or just wait until the full trial?

An award of alimony in NC is based on 16 Factors, including the duration of the marriage.

A three month marriage is not likely to have an award of alimony to either party because three months is not enough time to establish an accustomed standard of living during the marriage.

You should file a reply to the counterclaim for alimony by admitting or denying each allegation.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.