Alimony?

Dear maverick:

Greetings. No, there is not a years of marriage requirement to alimony, and you may end up paying her some alimony, even after only 4 years of marriage.

I am sorry to hear about her continued failures to pass the boards. Maybe she needs to study more?

Whether or not your name is on a debt does not determine if the debt is marital or not. Debts are marital if created during the marriage by either party. I would argue though that her student loan debt is separate. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorcecom
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

She currently makes $20 per hr and I make $19.53 per hr. Alimony goes both ways I assume. Like I said, she will be make 100K + per yr as soon as she passes, if ever and I make 54K per yr, including my monthly Veteran’s Compensation payment of $1,117. Can my Veteran’s Comp (Disability) benefit be included as income and subject to alimony? If so, I make more monthly than she does. About 1K more.

Dear Maverick:

Greetings. Yes, ALL income sources are used to determine alimony, including your veterans benefits. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorcecom
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

What’s all this alimony stuff? I’ve been married less than 4 years. Is there a years of marriage requirement? What determines alimony in NC? I make more now but she stands to make double what I make in her first year of practice, if she ever passes the cert exam for which she went to medical school for. She started medical school (Physician Assistant) 3 months after our marriage began and has over $120,000.00 in student loan debt, solely in her name. Can I be held responsible for that? My name and SSN is no where near any of the loans. She has taken the exam 3 times, hasn’t passed and may never pass. She’s not even coming close!!! This is one of our major sources of martial problems but we have others, like alleged affairs that she denies.