Alimony

My wife left me suddenly. She had obviously been planning the event for some time. The break up is not mutual. I’ve begged her to go to marriage counseling with me. We have a 3-year old daughter. I agree I should pay some child support, but what about alimony? Will I be required to pay her alimony if my salary is greater than hers?

The short answer is “probably”. Some of it depends upon how much more you make than she does, some of it upon other factors that the court will decide. You should probably read this:

Try to resolve as much as possible prior to the divorce via a Separation Agreement. If you can get her to agree to waive alimony in a separation agreement, you’re probably much better off. If she’s leaving you due to having another relationship, then she forfeits the right to alimony, although you may have to provide proof in court of such. Good luck and I’m sorry for your loss.

My wife and I separated 3 weeks ago. We were married for 14 years and have a 3 year old daughter. The break up was not mutual, she left me. I have been the sole provider for the past 12+ years, paid for everything including my wife’s cars, our house and her education. Is there any way to avoid giving her half of everything (i.e. money, house, property, etc) including my pension??