Answering divorce papers

You should have 30 days after being served to file a response and it sounds as though you need to file an Equitable Distribution Claim. And you need to do it within the time frame. If it’s not file by the time absolute divorce is granted you can not file. I’m not sure how this is done but there may forms on here that you could use. Don’t wait!

Respond but within your response you need to be specfic on all items thats of your concerns.

Dear PetraSherman:

Greetings. Sounds like you need to counterclaim for equitable distribution. Speak with an attorney to assist you in drafting the answer and counterclaims. Thank you and good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have been served with Divorce Papers and I am unsure as to how to answer them. I want some things out of our home and to settle some financial issues without a lawyer. I called the county court house in which the papers were filed, but they couldn’t answer any of my questions.