Best place to document Pension

Going through separation, everything has been, or in the process of being split up equitably. We dont have any formal documents about it since we’re just doing it on our own, and about done.
We’ve decided that I will remain forever the beneficiary of his pension. Where is the best place to make sure that is enforced, separation agreement, divorce document, Will? This is just futureproofing anything - if he remarries or anything - the pension is unquestionably and legally mine.
Thanks!

You will want this in a binding separation agreement that you are to forever remain the beneficiary of the pension.

You can also have the pension divided, which requires a special court order, so that when he starts drawing from his pension at retirement, you will also receive checks for one-half of the marital portion of the monthly pension payment. This is the better option than remaining the beneficiary because this ensures you actually receive half the marital value.

Another option is that you have the pension valued to the present day value and he pays you cash for half the marital value. This allows you to get the funds from the pension upfront rather than having to wait for him to reach retirement age to start receiving monthly payments.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Hi, he actually just retired and will be collecting the pension now. That was meant for us to live on (if we stayed together) so that I didn’t have to have full time job, nor did he in retirement. we could just do whatever we wanted to and use the monthly retirement to live off of. Now with the separation, I have to work to get income - he doesnt since he gets the pension.
Thanks.