Bigamy/annullment

I am sorry to hear that your boyfriend was dishonest to you and on his marriage application. Under North Carolina General Statute 51-3, a marriage is void if one of the parties has a spouse still living. You are not guilty of bigamy, but he is, and he did so intentionally.

You are not married and there is no need for you to seek a divorce or an annulment. You may, if you wish, file for an annulment at the courthouse in the county where you live. There really isn’t a reson to obtain an annulment but it is available to you. Good luck to you.

Robin F. Verhoeven
Attorney at Law
Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCdivorce.com
(919)787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I LIVE IN THE CUMBERLAND COUNTY AREA. I RECENTLY MARRIED MY HUSBAND IN SEPTEMBER IN THE STATE OF SC, OF COURSE THERE HE DIDNT HAVE TO SHOW PROOF OF DIVORCE. BUT RECENTLY HE JUST ADMITTED TO ME THAT HE IS NOT LEGALLY DIVORCED FROM HIS WIFE ALTHOUGH THEY HAVENT SEEN EACH OTHER IN 2 YEARS BECAUSE SHE RESIDES IN ANOTHER STATE, AND HE ALSO HAS FULL CUSTODY OF THERE DAUGHTER. THEY ARE LEGALLY SEPARATED. MY QUESTION IS WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUNCES OF BIGAMY IN NC ESPECIALLY WHEN IT WASNT DONE INTENTIONALLY, AND HOW DO WE GO ABOUT FILING FOR AN ANULLMENT I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO GET ANY ANSWERS FROM ANYWHERE, AND I DO I HAVE VALID CAUSE FOR AN ANNULLMENT?? PLEASE HELP

k.h