Binding Mediation


I went through court order mediation with my ex and we came to an agreement. We signed the stipulations and they were notarized . Their attorney was suppose to draft the separation agreement per the stipulations. The draft agreement is nothing like the agreement we signed. What is my recourse at this time? The stipulations also specified the the mediator word be the final arbiter.


The terms in your Memorandum of Mediated Settlement Agreement should be the same as what’s included in the separation agreement. If it’s not, and you and the other party’s attorney cannot work out the differences in language, then the issues will need to be submitted back to the mediator, as per your Memorandum of Mediated Settlement Agreement, for him or her to act as an arbitrator and make a final decision.

Generally, the other party is going to have a hard time arguing that the terms should be changed if they are clear in the Memorandum of Mediated Settlement Agreement.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.