Can I leave the country?

If there are no children involved, I do not think there would be anything barring you leaving the country. Either of you can file when the time is up but it may be easier for your stbx to file from her in the states. Your stbx can send the papers to you to sign anywhere that you may be living. As long as the sigantures are notarized legal it shouldn’t be a problem.

Good for you! Get out of the country and let him file for the divorce. Have the papers sent to you, sign them, and kiss him goodbye!

If your spouse still lives in North Carolina you may still file here. If you are only temporarily out of the country you man still be considered a resident of this state and may be eligible to file here.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My spouse and I completed a seperation agreement some time ago and it is registered in North Carolina. Now we are just waiting for the year to be up. We have no children. I have an opportunity to leave the country for work. Can I leave and still file the divorce eventhough I am out of the country? Can he file the divorce for us and just have me sign for it when I am out of the country? I am keeping my house in NC and he will still be living here.