Can the custodial parent refuse to abide by court-ordered custody and visitation


I need some advice please. To make a long story short… mother moved out of state with child without father’s knowledge in 2010… father took her to court in 2011. A court order was set…50/50 custody with his visitation two weeks a month certain holidays and some summer. Mother has refused visitation, father tried to have contact with mother for visitation… she refused contact. Mother would not have communication with Father nor was she willingful to have communication with father. She then moved in 2013 with the child and did not let the father know. He did not know where his daughter was from August of 2013 until after her mother contacted him in late 2016 demanding child support. At that time Father asked for his court-ordered visitation… she refused… Again!! She says the court order is just a piece of paper and no judge will make her abide by it after all these years. Does the mother "custodial parent " have the authority to go against a court order and refuse father’s visitation? He has not seen his daughter since late 2011 or early 2012 because the mother has blocked any relationship he could have had with his daughter.


No, no party to a court order has the authority to disregard the court order and not follow its terms as long as the court order continues to be in full force and effect.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.