Change childs name and terminate parental rights?

You cannot change the last name without his permission. It sounds like you have legal grounds to terminate his parental rights, however I do not practice in that are of the law and cannot tell you the procedure to go about doing it.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My ex has not seen my daughter, now 7, for over a year now. We split when she was 3 and he has only seen her a handful of times since then usually disappearing for a year at a time before I hear from his family again. He has been through a drug rehab that he dropped out of early and I have no idea where he is. He also was abusive while we were divorcing so I don’t go looking for him either.

So, my question is can I change my daughters last name without his consent? I have since remarried and have another child, so there are 3 of us with the same last name and then there is her with her dads last name. She wants us to call her by our last name and has asked for us to change it.

Second, can I terminate his rights? We have no contact and I get no support from him at all.

What is the process for each of these? Thanks!