Change in child support

If he is, in fact, only paying the $300/month now, then it seems you have little to lose by contacting the Child Support Enforcement Agency. You can use the child support calculator on our website to get some idea of what the new amount of child support might be, depending on your ex’s income.

He may be able to reduce the child support, depending on the exact wording of your separation agreement.

Erik L. Mazzone
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

When our separation agreement was signed, my ex agreed to pay 900 a month child support directly to me. He did this for about 3 months. Then he lost his job. I was willing to work with him until he could get back on his feet. The problem is…he has a new job that pays less and he now says he can only pay 300 a month. We have 2 children and that does not even buy food. I would like your advice. My question is should I turn this over to child support enforcement? Also, will he be able to get a reduction beacuse of his job change? I have been trying to work with him but I think he could afford to pay more than he is paying.