Change of name

She will need to file an answer and request that she be able to resume her maiden name. Make sure to include the language allowing the name change in your judgment. She does not need to appear in court.

If you do not wish to incorporate your separation agreement, there is nothing else that needs to be done with it.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

file an answer as in how? do you have to have a lawyer for that?

When I file for Divorce from my wife, can I put in the complaint that she wants to change her name or does she need to answer the complaint? We are divorcing on good grounds and just want one less step to go through. Does she even need to show up for the court date if it isnt contested?

Also does the seperation agreement we signed need to be filed or do we both just keep copies? We don’t want it incorporated into the divorce.