Child Custody

My husband is seeking full custody of the children claiming he has been the primary care giver for the last 5 years based on my need to travel for work. From 2004 through 2008 I was primarily work form home with an occasional (every 4 months or so) for a 2 or 3 day travel. In October 2008 I was asked to work on an engagement which required almost weekly travel until April of 2009, then I was work from home until September 2009 through March 2010. I now have a position that is completely work from home but he is stating that since there is always a ‘chance’ I will have to travel, he will win custody.

He does not spend time with the girls and in fact uses me to communicate with them for the most part, does not help with homework or school projects stating he ‘can’t’ because he doesn’t understand. He does not take them to doctor or orthodontist appointments and has only once or twice taken one of the girls to the dentist. The girls 14 and 15, would like to live with me.

What is taken into consideration when there is a custody disagreement?

All factors which have a bearing on the best interests of the children are considered. Based on the facts you list, it seems your husband will have a hard time backing up his claim that he is the primary caregiver.

MY NAME IS SHAVETTA SPEIGHT…I WAS TOLD TO COME TO THIS SITE TO HELP GET INFORMATION ON HOW TO GET LEGAL RIGHTS ON MY TWO SISTERS WHICH IS 17 AND 16…MY 16 YEAR OLD HAS A DAUGHTER WHICH IS ONE YEAR OLD. I NEED TO KNO WHAT TO DO. MY MOM PASS AND IM THE OLDEST. THEY HAVE BEEN LIVING WITH ME AND I HAVE TO GET THE 16YR OLD REGISTER FOR SCHOOL AND THE BABY ON A WAITING LIST FOR DAYCARE. I REALLY NEED HELP SO I CAN GET STARTED ON EVERYTHING. SO IF AN ATTORNEY CAN HELP ME AND TELL ME WHAT I HAVE TO DO TO GET THIS LEGAL DOCUMENT…PLEASE HELP ME… NO ONE WILL HELP OUT WITH THEM UNLESS I HAVE PROOF OF GAURDIAN. THANKS SO MUCH

We do not handle guardianship issues here at Rosen, but would be happy to refer you to an attorney in your area who does. Please contact our client liaison by dialling the main number and selecting extension 100 for a referral.