Child out of state


Dear John:

Yes, she can move without your permission. She may need your permission to remove the child from the state though. My advice is to see an attorney immediately to formulate a plan on how to keep your child in North Carolina. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My wife wants to move back to the state where we came from, and says she is going to take our son with her. Can she legally do this without my permission? There are no extenuating circumstances she
just wants to leave, and I don’t.