Child Support Calculation


I found this on the NC Dept of Health and Human Web site. NC Child support guidelines…

Does this apply? Certainly looks like it…

Thanks for any input.

  1. Potential or Imputed Income. If either parent is voluntarily unemployed or underemployed to the extent that the parent cannot provide a minimum level of support for himself or herself and his or her children when he or she is physically and mentally capable of doing so, and the court finds that the parent’s voluntary unemployment or underemployment is the result of a parent’s bad faith or deliberate suppression of income to avoid or minimize his or her child support obligation, child support may be calculated based on the parent’s potential, rather than actual, income. Potential income may not be imputed to a parent who is physically or mentally incapacitated or is caring for a child who is under the age of three years and for whom child support is being determined. The amount of potential income imputed to a parent must be based on the parent’s employment potential and probable earnings level based on the parent’s recent work history, occupational qualifications and prevailing job opportunities and earning levels in the community. If the parent has no recent work history or vocational training, potential income should not be less than the minimum hourly wage for a 40-hour work week.


Dear waterski:

Greetings. Yes, that is appropriate, BUT, before the court will impute her income, you will need to prove that she has voluntarily depressed her income in bad faith. I think that you will have a problem with the bad faith portion of this. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Hey Janet,

I’m back for one question… We have Joint custody of our son. The last year my ex worked full time as a dental hygenist she earned $52,000 in 11 months during 2000, before quitting in December at 8 months pregnant. By her choice, she is now only working part time, 3 days a week.

In calculating Child support using worksheet B, can I use her monthly gross from 2000 as her earning potential or do I have to use what she has elected to earn now?

Is there a statue I can refer to?

Thanks for your help