Child support/child failing school


Dear Sandy:

Greetings. Child support is typically not paid when a child drops out of school. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Child is going to be 15 this summer. He is failing 8th grade and just doesn’t care. No child support is received from his mother as she is a deadbeat. There are 2 other kids that do fine in school. He wants to move in with mom. If this happens, she is looking for Child support. Would support be awarded to the mother if the child drops out of school? or continues to fail?