I am a divorced Dad with kids that live with their mother. I have the kids every other weekend and pay alimony and child support monthly without fail. The facts are these:
- My monthly alimony payment has recently stepped down by 14% as per our orginal legal judgement.
- My ex-wife now has a job but did not at the time of our settlement.
- I make roughly the same amount as i did at the time of our settlement.
- I have recently re-married.
- My ex-wife is now threatening to take me to court to have the child support payment increased. I believe the motivation to be the recent alimony reduction.
My questions are:
- Is there anything to justify her desire to seek modification (i.e. more) of child support?
- Can my new wife’s income be included as part of the calculation or judge’s decision in awarding child support?