Child Support

If the child is emancipated child support payments cease.
They also cease if the child turns 18 and is not in school.
The best thing for your child to do is to get back in school or at least get their GED.

I would think that if you can show the courts that the child is not living with the other parent some sort of modification would be in order. The child testifing to this fact would go a long way I would guess. One thing to consider is how soon will the child turn 18.

If your paying through the NC Child support office I would give them a call and explain what is happened they may be able to tell you how to proceed

jnewman

quote:
[i]Originally posted by jnewman[/i] [br]If the child is emancipated child support payments cease. They also cease if the child turns 18 and is not in school. The best thing for your child to do is to get back in school or at least get their GED.

I would think that if you can show the courts that the child is not living with the other parent some sort of modification would be in order. The child testifing to this fact would go a long way I would guess. One thing to consider is how soon will the child turn 18.

If your paying through the NC Child support office I would give them a call and explain what is happened they may be able to tell you how to proceed

jnewman

The child won’t turn 18 till next May. The child support payments are through the NC child support agency and they already gave me the suggestion for the non-custodial parent to file a motion, but the lawyer told us no, the only way to have it changed is for the child to get their own lawyer and prove they are not living with the custodial parent anymore. We are taking steps to get that in the working, but I am not fond of this lawyer and don’t usually like his answers so I just don’t want to believe that is the ONLY way to fight this. But if it is then that is what we will do. Thanks. By the way she is supposedly working on getting her GED.

A 17 year old who quit high school and works full time moves out of the custodial parents house. How would the non-custodial parent get the child support payments to cease to the custodial parent or at least be assured the payments are going to the child? It is not right the custodial parent keeps receiving the money and doesn’t give any of it to the child. Have been told by another lawyer the only way to get this to happen is to have the 17 year old find their own lawyer and prove they are living on their own, then they can be emancipated. Can the non-custodial parent just make a motion to the court to have the child support payments sent directly to the child or at least have a court order that the custodial parent has to give that money to the child?