Claiming child as Tax Dependent

The right to claim your child is yours but you can sign a waiver stating that you are allowing your ex to claim her. I think it would need to be done each year that you allow it though…

there is actually a way on the form that you can specify what years that you are allowing your ex to claim the child so you don’t have to fill out the same form every year.

No it is fairy common for parents to alternate the dependency exemptions for their children. It is permissible to do this as long as only one parent claims the child each year.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Is it unusual for parents to alternate claiming their child(ren) on their yearly taxes. I claim my daughter on the even years and my ex claims her on the odd years. She lives with me 365 and I have full custody. I was told it was not legal for us to do this.