Conception of Child while separated

My soon to be ex and I conceived a child in a “lapse in judgement” one time fling in January early into our separation. Would our separation be extended to 1 year after birth or at all regardless of conception of our kid? We were still living separate and apart during conception. Since the conception we’ve had no intentions of reconciling.

No, the pregnancy has no bearing on the separation for absolute divorce purposes and is irrelevant to the issue of absolute divorce.

To obtain an absolute divorce, you must have been living continuously separate and apart for at least one year and it must have been the intent of at least one spouse that the separation be permanent as well as having a valid marriage and being a resident of the State of NC for the last six months.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.