Concerned After the Fact


Dear jmcclary:

Greetings. Your spouse would need to file a claim for equitable distribution in order to obtain further property from the marriage. If you want to know about how the property from your marriage will be divided, you need to speak with an attorney, and they will be able to help you determine whether or not you are able to maintain the vehicles. If the judge has not ordered it, you cannot go back again. If you received everything else that you wanted in the order, I would not try to get the order modified at this time.

Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I was recently issued a protective order for my husband for one year. This order included three cars - one recently purchased (I paid all money) and one purchased a year ago. The car was recently repaired due to my husband’s negilated which costed me $1700.00. My husband license is suspended. I have reason to believe he hired an attorney in an attempted to get the recently purchased cost (no balance). Can he do this once the judge ruled the protective order. Also in my order I checked a box stating that my husband should go to domestic violence class (he has a history from his previous wife) and the judge failed to mention it and I was afraid to because everything was going in my favor? Is it too late to question it?