Contempt process

If someone is in violation of an agreement (not doing what is in the agreement) then they can be sued for breach of contract not contempt. Contempt is when you don’t do something a court (or judge) has ordered you to do.

If you have a contract you can file a lawsuit for breach of contract. If there is a court order you would file a motion and order to show cause against the other party.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

If one party has evidence of a violation of their agreement; obviously it is contempt. What is the process to file contempt charges? An attorney has represented the party during the entire seperation process but money to pay is a factor now - would it be advisable to DIY? If so; how do you do this? Would it be faster via an attorney?